Financial Aid Checklist
Follow these steps to apply for Financial Aid
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov. Include the University of Dayton school code: 003127. The FAFSA must be completed each academic year in order to remain eligible for FSA. Please reference the table below to determine which FAFSA to complete based on your desired start date.
Start Quarter FAFSA Year April 2018 Spring 2018 2017-2018 July 2018 Summer 2018 2018-2019 October 2018 Fall 2018 2018-2019 January 2019 Winter 2019 2018-2019 April 2019 Spring 2019 2018-2019 July 2019 Summer 2019 2019-2020 October 2019 Fall 2019 2019-2020 January 2020 Winter 2020 2019-2020 April 2020 Spring 2020 2019-2020 July 2020 Summer 2020 2020-2021 October 2020 Fall 2020 2020-2021 January 2021 Winter 2021 2020-2021 April 2021 Spring 2021 2020-2021
- Sign the FAFSA electronically using your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. The US Department of Education replaced the FAFSA PIN with the FSA ID login system. You can create an FSA ID when logging into the FAFSA.
- Your financial aid award notification will be sent to your university email account. This will include specific steps about how to log into Porches. You’ll want to review your eligibility and accept or decline your loans at this time.
- If you accept the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov. Both the Entrance Counseling and MPN need to be completed in order for funds to be disbursed to your student account. You will need your FSA ID to log in and complete the processes. • Note: There is a separate Master Promissory Note for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.
- Many graduate and professional students borrow the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan in addition to the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan to cover their tuition and expenses. The Graduate PLUS Loan is credit-based. Please visit studentaid.ed.gov for detailed information regarding PLUS Loan credit requirements.
- Once you have made the decision to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, visit studentloans.gov to complete the Direct PLUS loan request.
- If approved for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, complete a separate MPN for this loan.
- If declined for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, you can reapply with a co-signer (endorser) or appeal the denial through the Department of Education.
- Update your lender(s) with addresses, contact information and enrollment status (for loan deferment purposes). Your loan servicer’s contact information can be found on the National Student Loan Data System at www.nslds.ed.gov.